Fort Towson Landing

The Fort Townson Landing was south of here on the banks for the Red River also know as the public landing from 1824 to 1854 it served as a receiving point for soldiers and supplies delivered by keelboats and steamboats Traders at the Choctaw settlement of Doaksville and local planters reveived goods and transported cotton to New Orleans. The Cotton went to textiles mills in Great Britain and the eastern United States, helping fuel the industrial revolution commercial navigation on the upper Red River continued until the early 1900s when railroads surpassed it as an economical mode of transportation.
At North 3rd Steet East on US-70 1/2 mi Fort Towson, Oklahoma.
Exploring Oklahoma History
Links: * Description and directions from Mark of Heritage, by Muriel H. Wright (via Ft. Tours)

** Image from Google Street View