Estabished Oct.1, 1859 by U.S. Troops under Major W.H. Emory as protection against raids of Plains Indians on Choctaws, Chickasaws, and on white emigrants moving west.
Evacuated May 5, 1861 by Union Troops and soon occupied by Confedrate forces under Colonel W.C. Young. Although sacked by hostile indians Oct. 23, 1862, held intermittently by Confederate commands until close of Civil War . Ruins rebuilt and regarrisoned by Federal units autumn 1868.
After Battle of Washita, Generals Philip Sheridan and George Custer moved command here Dec. 17, 1868. Chief Lone Wolf and Satanta held hostages until Kiowas submitted.
Mar. 12, 1869 Fort Cobb abandoned, troops moved to recently selected site which became Fort Sill.
Council between Five Nations and Plains Tribes here July 23, 1872
Oklahoma Historical Society 1960
National Register of Historic Place:
Fort Cobb Site
** (added 1973 - Site - #73001556)
1 mi. E of Fort Cobb, Fort Cobb
Historic Significance: Event
Area of Significance: Social History, Military, Politics/Government
Period of Significance: 1850-1874
Historic Function: Defense
Historic Sub-function: Fortification
Current Function: Agriculture/Subsistence