Established among the western Cherokees by Dr. Marcus Palmer in 1829 under the auspices of Boston based American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions. First located in Pope County, Arkansas Territory, and known as Mulberry Mission.
Other missionaries serving at Fairfield included Dr. Elizur Butler, Rev. Charles C. Torrey, and teachers, Clarissa Palmer, Lucy Butler, Addie Torrey, and Esther Smith. A circulation library of 150 volumes was established there in 1832 and was likely the first such library in Oklahoma.
The mission, discontinued in 1859, was located on Sallisaw Creek about 8 miles SW of Stilwell. The mission cemetery is now known as the McLemore Cemetery.
Marker, Oklahoma Historical Society, 63-1995
Intersection of Highway 100 and 59 south of Stilwell, Oklahoma*