Historic Places in Woodward County, Oklahoma
Alabaster Caverns State Park
A 3/4-mile cavern formed of alabaster, a rare form of gypsum, making it the largest natural gypsum cave in the world open to the public.
Boiling Springs State Park
Recreational facilities include RV and tent campsites, four cabins, two group camps, a swimming pool with concession stand and changing house, restrooms with showers, playgrounds, baseball diamonds, fishing spots, picnic areas and group ...
Established Nov., 1868 by Gen. Alfred Sully with 5 companies of 3rd Inf. This was the supply base for Col. Custer's 7th Cav. Here, Dec. 2, 1868 Gen Sheridan received Custer returning from the Battle of the Washita. Name changed to Ft. ...
CCC Company 2822
This park was created between 1935 and 1940 by members of Civilian Conservation Corps company no. 2822, one of many such units organized by the federal government during the great depression to provided useful employment for thousands o ...
Crossing Ft. Supply - Ft. Reno Military Road
In 1870 a supply road was established between Ft. Supply and the Cheyenne-Arapaho agency in Darlington, O.T. The road (and telegraph line) was built as an extension of the Ft. Dodge (KS) - Ft. Supply trail and extended to Ft. Reno in 18 ...
Fort Supply Historic Site
Established as Camp Supply in 1868 in the western part of the Cherokee Outlet, this supply base served General Philip Sheridan's winter campaign against hostile Indian tribes of the southern Great Plains. The fort was also responsible f ...
Fort Supply Lake
A popular recreation area with several white sand beach areas, RV and tent camping, fishing, boating, swimming and picnic areas. Other facilities include boat ramps, group shelters, restrooms, showers and playgrounds. Anglers will enjoy ...
Military Road Crossing
Here, between 1874 and 1890, supply wagons, a daily stage coach and the U. S. Mail moved over this earliest known trail from Dodge City, Kansas to Fort Elliott, Texas. The fort first known as Cantonment on Sweetwater" was established af ...
Plains Indians & Pioneers Museum
Take a walk on the wild side in lawyer/gunfighter Temple Houston's hometown museum. Frontier-town vignettes feature Houston's office, a bank, saloon, jail, photo studio, and newspaper office. Native American exhibits feature the Cheyenn ...
Spangler Road Skeleton
The Spangler Road Skeleton is what we are calling this metalwork sculpture of a Skeleton on Motorcycle of Doom.
Woodward Arts Theatre
Productions are staged by On Stage Woodward, and other special events and traveling shows are planned at this year round special events center.
Woodward Centennial Park
Combination memorial celebrating the 1987 centennial of Woodward, Oklahoma, honoring Woodward veterans, and honoring the victims of the great Woodward Tornado.
Woodward County Courthouse
Woodward County Courthouse
Woodward Time Capsule
Time Capsule 1887 - Woodward - 1987 After 100 Years open April 2087
Woodward County was originally known as "N" County and was composed of present day Woodward County and portions of Harper, Ellis, and Woods County. Before its division at statehood, Woodward County, then 60 miles square, was the westernmost county of the Cherokee Outlet and adjoined Texas and the Oklahoma Panhandle on the west and Kansas on the north. Political pressure applied by William H. Murray during Oklahoma's Constitutional Convention resulted in the reduction of the size of Woodward County to its present boundaries. It is unknown exactly who the county (and the town) is named after, but the two leading candidates are Brinton W. Woodward, a Santa Fe railway director, or Richard Woodward, a buffalo hunter.