- Arthur, I. T.
Arthur is a ghost town in Stephens County, Oklahoma, United States. It was 15 miles east of Duncan, Oklahoma and had a post office from May 14, 1890 until September 29, 1934. Township 1S, 5W, 9. First Postmaster: William H. Mershon May 14, 1890. Arthur was in the Chickasaw Nation, Pickens County, Indian Territory. There is nothing left of Arthur, there is just an empty field now in 2010.
#ghost town #indian territory #oklahoma
- Chisholm Trail Crossing and Ted A. Gilbert Memorial
1st Marker: Chisholm Trail Crossing At this point you are crossing Old Chisholm Trail over which the great cattle herds were driven from Texas to Kansas. From 1867 to 1889. This marker erected by the Kiwanis club of Duncan, Oklahoma 1936. Reconstructed in 1986. Logo: Kiwanis International 2nd Marker: Ted A. Gilbert Memorial Ted A. Gilbert 1902 - 1988 This marker was first constructed in 1936 under the leadership and is now dedicated to his memory, in addition to serving as President of the Club in 1936. He was a Legion ...
- Chisholm Trail Heritage Center
The Heritage Center was established in 1998 to commemorate and celebrate the great history and heritage of the old Chisholm Trail and the other Great Cattle Trails of the late 19th century. The Center includes the largest bronze sculpture in Oklahoma, a monumental statue of a cattle drive, and an adjacent museum and visitor center. Inside the museum, displays and galleries put you on the old Trail. From the economic forces stimulating the cattle industry after the Civil War, to the entrepreneurs and cattle barons who made it happen, and on ...
- Chisholm Trail Marker - Duncan
Two miles east of this point ran the Chisholm Trail named for Jessie Chisholm, and Oklahoma part-Cherokee indian trader. Soon after close of Civil War, Chisholm laid out a trail with his freight wagons extending from the Arkansas river valley in Kansas to the North Canadian river valley in Oklahoma. When Texas drovers headed their long-horned cattle toward the nearest railroad at Abilene, Kansas in 1867, this trace was the only well defined part of the route. As a result the entire trail from south Texas to northeast Kansas ...
- Chisholm Trail Marker - Marlow
- Indian Baseline Monument
Initial point was established by the U.S.government in 1870. All Oklahoma except the panhandle was then divided into townships north and south and ranges east and west of initial point. The Indian Base Line is two-tenth of a mile south of this point on beech road. Duncan is 41 miles west of initial point. The stones in this nomument were taken from initial point. Placed by Duncan chapter, Natioanl Society Daughters of the American Revolution as a bicentennial project February 22, 1974
- Initial Point Monument
Was dedicated by Duncan Chapter NSDAR as a Bicentennial Commonrative project on Feb. 22, 1974 "Honor's the pioneers of Oklahoma and their revolutionary ancestors and presents the significance of Initial Point" (This marker is very hard to read) Initial Point high on the top of the Arbuckle Mountains in the most important U.S. Geodetic survey mark for all of Oklahoma except the Panhandle. It is used as far north as South Dakota and by Southwest states. This Indian Base Line Monument is built close by the Indian Base Line ...
- Lyle-Montgomery-Linam House
Listed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1883
- Marlow Armory
The Marlow Armory, 702 W. Main. This Historic Rock Structure Was Most Likely Another Of The Wpa.S Projects. The National Guard Is Still Using It As An Armory. It Was Place On The National Register In 1994. Insigina On The Building Is A Thunderbird For The 45Th Division Of The National Guard. Now Home Of: 1st Battalion, 158th Field Artillery, Marlow (Battery C).
#historical building #military
- Marlow Brothers
Born along the Chisholm Trail and on the banks of Wild Horse Creek the legend of the Marlow family and the five Marlow brothers has been proven to be more fact than fiction. Dr. Williamson Marlow and his wife, Martha Jane, a relative of Daniel Boone, first established a homestead in this area during the early 1880's. The site of the original Marlow family home is reported to have been located just north of Redbud Park. Somewhat of a nomad by nature, Dr. Marlow provided medical treatment to the many settlers in this portion ...
- Marlow Brothers Hideout
The Marlow family's experiences are worthy legends of the old west. When they settled here during the peak of the cattle drives, this location was ideal for recovering cattle lost among the tickets and dense cross timber woods that covered the area to the east. Some say the Marlow brothers merely rounded up stray longhorns, others that the deliberately rustled from the edges of the large herds and hid the cattle in the woods to the east. Whatever the truth, the brothers were falsely accused of stealing horses by a US Marshal and were ...
- Marlow Outlaw Cave
Legendary Marlow Outlaw Cave enter to view Travel back to the time of the Marlow family and life along the Chisholm Trail in the 1800's
#cavern #hideout #outlaw
- Marlow Review Newspaper
The Marlow Review Established 1890 Marlow Magnet first newspaper in Marlow By 1905 The Marlow Review started publishing newspapers.
- Oak Lawn School
Oak Lawn School Established 1908 Photo take early 1920's School District 273
#community #school #wpa
- Old Duncan Public Library
Old Duncan Public Library Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior Built by WPA 1937 Plaque donated by NSDAC 2002
- Old Military Trail
To adventures in the west. The famous Dragoon Expedition, 1834, Col. Henry Dodge in command, passed near here on the way west to the Wichita village on north fork of Red River. Near here in 1852. Capt. R.B. Marcy, 5th Inf. Met his wagon train for his expedition west, in search of the source of Red River. East of here, 2 mi., was the Chilsholm Trail. Oklahoma historical society and state high way commission 1958
- Patterson Hospital - Duncan, OK
Listed on the National Register Of Historical Place Patterson Hospital 1928
- Redbud Chapel
At the turn of the last century, families from Marlow had to travel many miles to celebrate mass every six weeks. Because of the muddy trails, even horses and buggies had problems negotiating the roads, making the trip approximately three hours in length. The first priest to celebrate Mass occasionally in Marlow was Father Ellias Fink, O.S.B., stationed in Chickasha in 1900. Father Urban de Hasque, a native of Belgium, who became pastor of Chickasha in 1901 commenced celebrating Mass once a month on a wee day in Marlow and then ...
- Sheriff W.A. (Wal) Williams
Erected In Honor Of The Services Of All Peace Officers And Dedicated To The Memory Of Sheriff W.A. (Wal) Williams 1869 -- 1930 Who Gave His Life In The Courageous Performance Of His Duty. May 13,1930
#memorial #peace officers
- Stephens Co. Historical Museum (Duncan Armory)
The Stephens County Historical Museum Located in the historic National Guard Armory at Hwy. 81 and Beech Street, the museum features displays and artifacts illustrating early land-run and settlement life in Oklahoma together with early 20th century memorabilia. Duncan Armory added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1996 (Building - #96001490) Also known as Duncan National Guard Armory
- Stephens County Courthouse - New and Old
Stephens County Courthouse - New and Old Current courthouse 1967 to present Old Courthouse 1921-1968 (Picture was taken at the Stephen County Historical Museum) The Manhattan Construction Company started construction on the facility in 1921. Designed by Oklahoma City architect Jewell Hicks, the building had a combination of Second Renaissance Revival and Neo-Classical designs The old Courthouse sat on a square in downtown Duncan and was demolished when the current courthouse was built.
- The Duncan Store and The Fort Sill and Fort Arbuckle Road
The Duncan Store and the Ft. Sill - Ft. Arbuckle Road Visible Immediately to the east are prominent Trail ruts created by cattle herds and the Ft. Sill - Ft. Arbuckle supply road. Two miles east - southeast, beyond the crest of the hill visible across the valley, the cattle road intersected and joined the east - west Ft.Sill - Ft. Arbuckle supply and stage coach road to avoid the impenetrable cross - timber oak forests blocking a direct route to the north. Cattle drovers followed the established supply road for about seven miles ...
#chisholm #military #road #store #supply #trail
- W.T. Foreman House (The Prairie House)
The W.T. Foreman House was built in 1918 for one of Duncan's earliest citizens. This historic home is undergoing restoration and is listed on the National Registry (in 2003 - Building #03000512) as one of the earliest examples of the Prairie Style, made famous by Frank Lloyd Wright. Call for tours.
Historic Places For Stephens County