County Seat: Fairview, Oklahoma
Upon statehood in 1907, Major County was created from southern part of a territorial county. Fairview, which had been settled following the Land Run of 1893, was designated the county seat and voters reaffirmed the choice on December 22, 1908. The county's commissioners rented office space until a brick courthouse was constructed. A second courthouse, made of stone, was erected in 1928.
Named for John Charles Major, a representative to the state's 1906 Constitutional Convention, the area was originally settled by large numbers of Kansas Mennonites. One county town, Meno, received its name from an early leader of the Mennonite movement.