- Battle of Backbone Mountain
On Sept. 1, 1863, Confederates under Brig. Gen. W. L. Cabell ambushed a Union force commanded by Maj. Gen J. G. Blunt, but were driven off after a three hour battle. Later, on July 27, 1864, The Choctaw Battalion led by Capt. Jack McCurtain defeated a Federal cavalry force here. Oklahoma Historical Society 190-1995
#battle #choctaw #civil war
- Butterfield Overland Mail Rt.
- Cavanal Hill
Cavanal Hill, the World's Highest Hill, Elevation 1999 ft.
- Chief Mosholatubbee
Chief Mosholatubbee of the Choctaw Nation was strongly interested in the welfare of his people and banned the use of liquor in his district. One of the signers of the Treat of Dancing Rabbit Creek in 1830, which provided for the removal off the Choctaws to the West, Mosholatubbee hoped to protect them from the influence of the whites. Removing with his people to their new home, he continued to work for a betterment of educational institutions among the Choctaws until his death on August 3, 1838.
- Choctaw Agency
Building completed, and Maj. F. C. Armstrong was first Agent i 1832. Village became known as Skullyville. Choctaw Nation adopted new constitution in convention here, 1857. State Station for the Overland Mail to San Franciso 1858-61. Leading Choctaws here include Tandy Walker, Edmund McCurtain and Thos. D. Ainsworth. *
- First Military Road
Constructed by Captain John Stuart, of the Seventh Infantry, in 1832, the road ran between Fort Smith, Arkansas and Fort Towson in the Choctaw Nation. The route was originally marked by Robert Bean and Jesse Chisholm and served to unite the new frontier posts that were established with the removal of the Five Civilized Tribes to present-day Oklahoma. *
#choctaw #military #trail
- Fort Coffee
Established June 16, 1834, by 7th Inf., and named in honor of Gen. John Coffee of Tennessee. Abandoned by U.S. Army in November 1838. In 1842 site selected by Chactaw Council and established as Ft. Coffee Academy for boys During Civil War buildings used as barracks by Confederate forces. In Oct. 1863 captured by Federal troops and principal buildings burned.
#choctaw #civil war #fort #military
- Ft. Smith - Ft. Townson Military Road
Ft. Smith - Ft. Townson Military Road This road extended through the Choctaw Mation over 130 miles of rugged terrain and raging streams. It was blazed by Col. Robert Bean and constructed by Captain John Stuart and used to carry supplies and move troops and emigrants through the region. The route crossed the Winding Stair Mtn. at this point. Eastern Oklahoma Historical Society, Oklahoma Historical Society and State Highway Commission 1975.
#military #road #trail
- Hughes Ranch
- Jenson Tunnel
Listed on the National Register of Historical Places (added 1976 - Structure - #76001567) The Jenson Tunnel is Oklahoma's only railroad tunnel. It was built by the Frisco railway through the Choctaw nation between 1885 and 1887. The tunnel is approximately 1,180 feet long, with an average width of 14 feet and an average height of 20 feet. The tunnel remains in use today. *
#engineering #railroad #tunnel
- LeFlore County Courthouse
Listed on the national register of historic places.
- Peter Conser Home
Born in the Choctaw Nation in the 1850s, Peter Conser was a long-time law-enforcement official among the Choctaws, serving as a deputy sheriff, sheriff and leader of the Choctaw Lighthorsemen. He wa also elected a senator in the Choctaw Legislature. Conser and the men who served under his direction did much to ensure peace among the Indians. His home has been restored to illustrate life as it was in the Choctaw National before statehood. *
- Rev. Willis F. Folsom
- Reverend John Page
- Reverend Willis F. Folsom
- Reynolds Castle
On the hill to east was home of Capt J.E. Reynolds, a confederate veteran, a pioneer rancher and merchant. Built of native stone like a castle complete with turrets, and walls two feet thick, Reynolds was a delegate to the Sequoyah convention which attempted to bring I.T. into the union as a separate state.
Listed on the National Register of Historical Places.
#choctaw #ghost town
- Spiro Mounds
Welcome to Spiro Mounds. The Interpretive Center has displays about the Caddoan Indians who created this important ceremonial complex between A.D. 600 and A.D. 1450. There is also an interpretive trail system that loops past all twelve mounds. Each mound was created from layer upon layer of dirt carried in the baskets. Nine mounds were made as "platforms" for the primary leaders homes, two were for main religious buildings and one was to cover the burials of the leaders. Some of the mounds were looted by commercial diggers from ...
- Trahern's Station
Here was located a stage stand of the Butterfield Overland Mail Route, under acto fo congress, March 3, 1857. First mail state arrived here in September, 1958, enroute to San Francisco, Service continued until the outbreate of war between the state. Oklahoma Historical Societ, 1958
- Walker's Station
#choctaw #mail #trail
Historic Places For LeFlore County