- Abraham Jefferson Seay - Grave Site
Abraham Jefferson Seay From Private 1861 to Col 31st and 32nd Infantry Missouri volunteer 1865 Co Atty 1871 Circuit Judge 1875 to 1886 Associate Justice of Okla 1890 to 1891 Governor of Okla 1891 to 1893 Love of Country Love of Kindred
#governor #oklahoma territory #tombstone
- Baker's Ranch
Baker's Ranch Site one-half mile west, this ranch station, noted watering place on the Old Chisholm Trail, was attacked in the last Indian war and found deserted a few days later, July 5m 1874, by Indian Agent J. D. Miles who asked for U. S. Cavalry to guard the trail in this section. This site was laid out in 1890 as Baker City, a ghost town now. Oklahoma Historical Society
#chisholm trail #ghost town #indian war #ranch
- Big Four School
Big Four School Located 3 miles north, was formed Mar. 17, 1920, by a special election vote to consolidate the districts of White Cap, Twilight, Wandell, and Bird Creek. The school graduated its first senior class in 1924, its last in 1968. It continued as a grade school until closing in May 1978 Sponsor Big Four Alumni Association Oklahoma Historial Society
- Bull Foot Station
Bull Foot Station On the old Chisholm Trail, this station was noted for its water well. The name , from a huge indentation in the ground here resembling inprint of a Bull's Foot. Buildings were still standing on site, 50 yards east of the old trail, and 4.5 miles south of the north line of the Oklahoma Land which was opened to settlers by the Great Run, April, 22, 1889 Oklahoma Historical Society
#chisholm trail #park
- Burrus Mills Elevator
National Register Of Historical Places--Oklahoma Burrus Mills Elevator C (added 2000 - Structure - #00000621) Also known as Burrus Mills Elevator NE corner, Jct. of Admire Ave. and 4th St., Kingfisher Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering, Event Architectural Style: Other Area of Significance: Industry, Architecture, Agriculture Period of Significance: 1925-1949, 1950-1974 Owner: Private Historic Function: Agriculture/Subsistence Historic Sub-function: Processing Current ...
- Chisholm Trail Museum
The Chisholm Trail Museum displays artifacts from the historic cattle trail.
- Cimarron River Crossing the Trail Junction
Cimarron River Crossing the Trail Junction The Abilene Cattle Trail crossed the Cimarron directly before you. About a mile west, the Fort Sill - Arkansas City wagon road. The western variant of the cattle trail through Ft. Reno and the The Darlington Agency, crossed the Cimarron. A short distance north of the river, the two trails joined just before reaching the Red Fork Ranch as they continued northward. Some 50 miles south, before crossing the south Canadian River, The Abilene Trail split. The mail trail continued almost due ...
#chisholm trail #cimarron river #crossing
- Farmers and Merchants National Bank
The Farmers and Merchants National Bank is the oldest bank in Kingfisher county, built shortly after the Land Run of 1889. List on the Register of Historic Places.
#bank #landmark #nrhp
- Farmers Co-op Elevator
Built between 1931 and 1938 made of concrete and has 4 cylindrical shaped bins. List on the Register of Historic Places
#grain elevator #nrgp
- First Rural Mail Route
First Rural Mail Route Oklahoma's established at Hennessey on Aug. 15, 1900, with Albert W. Dorrow as carrier, his salary at $500 a year. J. A. Felt was the Hennessey postmaster. Route ran east over 24 ml., serving population of 700 in 313 sq, ml.
#mail #route 66
- Governor A.J. Seay Mansion
National Register of Historic Places Built 1890 Restored 1966 By Division of State Park The Seay Mansion is a historical monument built upon dreams by Abraham Jefferson Seay in hopes that Kingfisher would be the new capitol of Oklahoma Territory. Governor Seay served as second Territorial Governor of Oklahoma from 1892 to 1893, built the three story mansion story mansion named "Horizon Hill" for approximately $11,000.00 on fifteen acres of land purchased for $637.50, just outside of Kingfisher, OT. The mansion was completed in ...
#architecture #mansion #pioneer
- Historical Society Birthplace
Historical Society Birthplace Oklahoma Historical Society was organized May 27, 1893, by the Oklahoma Press Association, in convention at Kingfisher. The Society headquarters were estabished in the first courthouse, at Sixth and Admire, and remained in the city until 1895.
Kingfisher This was U.S. Land Office site for filing claims at opening of "Old Oklahoma." April 22, 1889; also, at opening of Cheyenne and Arapaho lands on April 19, 1892. J.C. Robberts was first Register. First post office, Lisbon, established April 20, 1889; name changed to Kingfisher, July 18, 1889.
#land run #townsite
- Kingfisher Armory
Kingfisher Armory (added 1994 - Building - #94000279) Also known as Kingfisher National Guard Armory
#historical building #military
- Kingfisher College
Kingfisher College Founded by Congregationalists, this college--site one mile north, 1890-1922, achieved renown in education and character-building. It lives on at the University of Oklahoma as the Kingfisher College Chair of the Philosophy of Religion and Ethics.
- Kingfisher County Courthouse
Kingfisher County first housed the original county officials in the Central Hotel. In 1892, Territorial Governor Abraham Seay and partner William Grimes built a three-story brick structure that they leased to the county. When it was destroyed by fire in 1901, county officials rented other space and made plans to build the first county-owned courthouse. Designed by J. H. Bennett and constructed by the C. E. Sockler Construction Company, the four-story brick building cost the county $29,990. It was an ornate structure with a ...
- Kingfisher Post Office
Old Kingfisher Post Office Originally established for Kingfisher and the surrounding area, it has been maintained with care and now houses the home office of Briscoe Oil Company. Kingfisher Post Office ** (added 1978 - Building - #78002239) Also known as The Old Post Office
- Kingfisher Stage Station
Kingfisher Stage Station This stage station on the old Chisholm Trail, 1867-1889, was 4 blocks no., on south side of Kingfisher Creek. The trail had two branches in this area; one for cattle was 6 miles east
#chisholm trail #stage station
Lacey Serving as Post Office from 1890 to 1909. The Town was named for John. F. Lacey from Iowa who served as a member of the congressional committee on Indian Affairs and Chairman of the Committee on public lands which opened Oklahoma Territory to homesteaders in 1889. Oklahoma Historical Society
#landrun #post office
- Massacre of Pat Hennssey
Massacre of Pat Hennessey Freighter Hennessey's charred body tied to his wagon wheel was found in a smoldering fire near 3 of his drivers, all killed on July 4, 1874, in last Indian war when his train was on way along Chisholm Trail to Kiowa Agency. Grave is 2 blocks West. Oklahoma Histoircal Society and State Highway Commission 1957
#indian #massacre #wars
- Pat Hennessey
Pat Hennessey Attacked and Killed by Indians July 2, 1874
#indian massacre #pioneer
- Pat Hennessey's Gravesite
This marks the place on Chisholm Trail where during the Cheyenne and Arapaho Indian. Pat Hennessey A government freighter, was massacred, July 4, 1876, by white outlaws, masked as Indians. His grave lies nearby. The town of Hennessey was named in his honor.
- Pioneer Telephone Building
Pioneer Telephone Building This building was constructed in 1900 by the Anheuser Busch Brewing Association of St. Louis, Missouri. In 1922, the building was restored similar to its original appearance by Pioneer Telephone Cooperative, Inc.
#architecture #nrhp #telephone
- Red Fork Ranch
Red Fork Ranch The Red Fork Trail ranch house stood about a half mile to the south of this location now marked by a granite monument on Red Fork Street The image above was drawn by Adolph Hunnius in 1876 a surveyor (Courtesy of the Kansas state Historical Society). After the cattle trail became well established, trail ranches sprang up in various locations along the trail. Especially in Indian Territory. Here, the Trailing herds could stop and rest. The cattle could easily be contained ...
#chisholm trail #ranch
- Red Fork Station
Red Fork Station Site 3 blocks south Stockade buildings of Red Fork Ranch on the Chisholm Trail , at the Cimarron or Red Fork river crossing here, included a stage station to change horse and a supply depot for travelers, late 1860's to 1890's. Troops from Ft. Sill were on duty here during Indian war alarm after the Pat Hennessey massacre, in July 1874. Oklahoma Historical Socriety and Oklahoma Highway Commission 1957
#ranch #stage #station
- Roy V. Cashion
Roy V. Cashion 1st Okla. Vol. U.S. Cavalry After his regiment helped in the victory at Las Quasiman, Cuba. he was killed as he charged over San Juan Hill. July 1, 1898 in the Spanish-American War. This Oklahoma boy - Hennessey High School graduate - rode horse-back to Gurhrie, and enlisted on May 5, 1898, in "Rough Riders" under Col. Theodore Roosevelt.
#military #rough riders #spanish-american war
- Run of '89-N. Boundary
At the open of "Old Oklahoma," April 22, 1889, this was the north line for the Run starting at 12 o'clock noon. Prairies and hills in the 2,000,000 acre tract south, where peopel by tens of thousands. Homes were planted and tent cities spring up before nightfall.
- Run of '89-W. Boundary
Run of ' 89 West Boundary On this line--98" W. Longitude-- Many campers sat by their fires the night before the opening of "Old Oklahoma". The next day at noon on April 22, 1889, many people set out running on foot and by horse for 160 acre land claims in Unassigned Land East. Oklahoma Historical Society 48-1995
#89 #boundary #land
- Run of '92
Run of '92 East boundary of Indian country --98' W longitude, west of this line lay the land of the Cheyenne and Arapaho. Each member of their two tribes had been alloted, 160 acres before the surplus land was opened to settlers, AT noon April 19, 1892, the ran west from this line for homesteads. Gov. A.J. Seay of Oklahoma Ty., was living at Kingfisher. His grave is near. Oklahoma Historical Society 49-1995
#governor #homestead #land run
- Rural Electrification
- Sam Walton
Welcome to Kingfisher birthplace of Sam Walton founder Walmart Stores Inc.
Sheridan At the opening of the "Unassigned Lands" to homesteader in 1889, a quarter section in Skeleton Town- ship was reserved for a townsite, Named Sheridan in honor of Lt. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan, the town grew until 1902, when nearby Marshall became the rail center of the area. Cemetery Sheridan Cemetery 1889 - 1950 Sheridan, OK
- The Dalton Cabin
The Dalton Cabin Formerly stood in the blackjacks southeast of Dover and was the home of Adaline Dalton the last 16 years of her life. The Daltons came to Oklahoma in 1890 and settled on a school quarter northeast of Kingfisher. Adaline was the mother of 13 children of whom all but four were law abiding citizens. She died in 1925 and was buried in Kingfisher Cemetery. The Dalton cabin is now located at the Chisholm Trail Museum in Kingfisher. In the second photo the cabin is the gray building on the right.
#museum #outlaw #pioneer
Historic Places For Kingfisher County