- Crossing The Red
Statue in front of the Jackson County Courthouse Crossing The Red Dedicated by Altus Rotary Club to the Pioneer Settlers of Jackson County on the 100th Anniversary of the Founding of th City of Altus 1991
Friendship Friendship was once called Alfalfa, serving as the site of the Alfalfa Post Office from 1903 to 1905. Clabber Flat School, which began one mile west and one-half mile north of here in 1899, became the first Friendship School, acquiring its new name because it was the home of the Friendship Baptist Church. After the church was located here in 1908, the town also became known as Friendship. At its peak, Friendship included more than a dozen businesses, all of which gradually closed with the decline in rural population ...
#cattle trail #community
- Friendship School
Friendship School Dedicated in memory of parents, teachers and friends who thought us the true meaning of friendship, scholarship, sportsmanship, leadership and honor. For more than sixty years Friendship schools meet the education needs and were the heart of the Friendship community. In 1899, soon after old Greer County was declared to be a part of Oklahoma Territory and opened for homesteading. Clabber Flat school and after was called Friendship by some of those the school was the original home ...
#community #monument #school
- Great Western Trail Markers
Great Western Trail Markers In 1874 Captain John T. Lytle and several Cowboys left South Texas with 3,500 head of longhorn cattle. Five years later the route Lytle cut out of the prairie to Ft. Robinson, Nebraska, had become the most significant Cattle Trail in history - The Great Western Trail. The Great Western trail was less known than the Chisholm Trail, the Great Western Trail was longer in length and carried cattle for two years longer than the Chisholm. Established in 1878, Doan's Crossing was know on the trail as ...
#cattle trail #monument
- Jackson County Courthouse
Jackson County Courthouse listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984.
- Martha Centennial Memorial
1896-1996 History of the Martha Community *
- The Altus - Jackson County Well
The Altus - Jackson County Well - Hand dug in 1889-90 by Mr. Sam Neal who homesteaded the lands that comprise downtown Altus this well was 35 feet deep and was walled with brink. Rediscovered in 1989, this restoration project has been a part of the "89" centennial celebration for the state of Oklahoma.
- The Great Western Cattle Trail
The Great Western Cattle Trail Circa 1876-1895 Began in southern Texas after Quanah Parker and the Comanches surrendered at Fort Sill in 1875. Due to the failing Post-Civil War economy in Texas. Ranchers developed a 1,000 mile trail to Dodge City, Ogallala and other northern markets to receive rewarding profits. With faith in God cowboys drove millions of Longhorns over the prairie that had been conserved by the Plains Indians in Indian Territory. The Comanches and other tribes became skilled as diplomats and offered the right ...
- Western Cattle Trail
Western Cattle Trail In 1875 the last free bands of Comanches and Kiowas were confined to the reservations at Fort Sill, allowing regular cattle drives over the Western Cattle Trail, which continued until about 1888. By the time the drives ended, millions of Longhorns had passed this way, through what is now Friendship, bound for Dodge City. This area was Greer County, Texas until 1896. when the Supreme Court determined it was a part of Oklahoma Territory. After it was opened for homesteading in 1897, settlers poured in, seeking ...
Historic Places For Jackson County