This town was lost to the construction of the dam for Foss Lake. The cemetery was moved to Canute.
Listed on the 1900 list of unincorporated towns in Custer County. Found the sign marking Fransen on rail lines in the south part of what is now Clinton. Fransen was a small farming community named after a local family that never grew into much and was eventually absorbed by the town of Clinton.
Only remains are a monument dedicated to the school. Independence was a government town built in 1892. In the first 2 months it had three robberies. Had a population of nearly 300 in 1900 but by 1902 was fast becoming a ghost town. It died completely when bypassed by the railroad. After its citizens moved to Custer City in 1902, Independence became a ghost town. It was one of two communities established on the Cheyenne and Arapaho reservations before those reservations were opened to settlement in 1892. Independence had a post ...
I have found very little information about this town. By best estimates this was a town that lived and died by the rail road. With the larger commercial areas of Clinton and Weatherford there was little hope for this small community. Today nothing of the old town remains. There are about three homes in the area now. One area is heavily overgrown with trees and you can see the remains of a few abandoned homes there. Also still visible is the remain of the foundation to what looks like it would have been a church. The corner stone ...
In 1903 Clinton developed after the Blackwell, Enid and Southwestern Railroad (later the St. Louis and San Francisco Railway) and the Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway (later the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway) built lines through the town. Clinton grew rapidly when one hundred buildings were moved from Parkersburg, a community located three miles east of Clinton. The Parkersburg railroad depot was moved to Canute, and Parkersburg became a ghost town in 1906. Today nothing remains of Parkersburg except for the old cemetery ...
Nothing remains. Town is now all on private land. No access to area.
Had post office from 1909 till about 1955. Most population ever was is around 100. It had a school at one time with 300 students. In mid 40's it had 2 cotton gins, wheat elevator, two small stores until mid to late fifties. School closed in 1962. Today only a few homes remain in the area and a church. The cemetery is to the east of town about 1/2 mile.
Ghost Towns For Custer County